[Digikam-devel] KimDaBa like Tag Editor

Dominik Fritz digikam at dominikfritz.de
Tue Jun 14 10:23:27 BST 2005

Am Monday 13 June 2005 17:48 schrieb Renchi Raju:
> On Fri, 10 Jun 2005, Dominik Fritz wrote:
> > I finaly have some working code and a screenshot.
> > http://www.dominikfritz.de/digikam/tagedit.png
> > http://www.dominikfritz.de/digikam/KimDaBaTagEdit.tar.bz2
> >
> > The main difference between The Digikam tagedit dialog and this one ist,
> > that you can select and create Tags in one single diaglog with just
> > typing in their names. To make tagging large image sets quite easy the
> > tagging can be done with an autocompletion enabled textfield.
> > As KimDaBa does not support hierachical tags like Digikam I added a
> > dropdown to select the parent tags of the tags one wants to select.
>
> i'm trying to understand how the dialog works (looking at the screenshot)
> and failing to do so :). what's the philosophy behind this tageditor.
> maybe we can work out something more understandable for users :)

Well, you are right. The dialog I created is, at least in the current form,
not really intuitive and it will need some explaining.
For a comparison you can have a look at the KimDaBa dialog
http://ktown.kde.org/kimdaba/kimdaba-doc/en/doc-multi-page/image-config-window.png
so maybe with this it gets a bit clearer.
Due to the hierarchical structure of the Digikam tags I added the three
dropdowns you can see in my screenshot. These dropdowns contain all existing
tags and you can use them to specify which tags should be shown in the
corresponding listbox below i.e. in the listbox below all child tags are
shown.
For tagging your images you can either select and deselect the tags in the
listbox with a mouseclick or, your can use the textfield between the dropdown
and the listbox. This textfield has an autocompletion feature which completes
the tags while you're typing with the ones in the listbox below. This means
it is sufficient to type just a few characters to select a tag. When you hit
the return key in this textfield the current text of this textfield is used
to search for a corresponding tag in the listbox below. If one is found it is
selected and if not a new tag is automatically created. I think this is a
very efficient way to tag large sets of images. But, as Mikolaj already said,
it is more a tool for powerusers and of course the dialog is still far from
being finished.

Dominik