[Digikam-devel] digikam and search ioslave

Xavier Helluy xavier.helluy at web.de
Fri Jun 10 22:24:23 BST 2005

Hello everybody,

I am the author of kio-clucene http://kioclucene.objectis.net , a search ioslave for kde. It is still a pre-alpha software, but it works.
It can store preview of all images, and query all metadata, using boolean search if necessary.
The query syntax it uses is versy similar to wikipedia:
example:

clucene:/ +mimetype:png +author:bla -date:[2002 2003]

I read some time ago that you were implementing search inside digikam.
I wonder if one could not make use of my ioslave to allow searching from digikam and outside of digikam.
A while back I indexed via the digikamtags ioslave my digikam image albums. I could search on on tag names and metadata. But this was difficult because of the way the digikamtags ioslave names its path and it is impossible to know when a tag has changed or not. I finally removed the code, (which got broken for other reasons). So indexed data can get out of sync really fast
So if digikam would be responsible for indexing its albums, or would notify the world when new tags are created/added, this would be great.

I have a general working multifield search dialog but it has no boolean queries like the mockup I have seen for the new search-dialog. I would be happy to share experience on this too.

What might not work (but untested and for me maybe difficult to code, but could be enabled one day, when substring queries like *bla will be implemented inside the ioslave) is a search-as-you-type. But I have read you are not looking for such a design right away.

I think trying to output the searchable-data-information, while having application-specific search-dialogs would be nice for kde too. One could then even imaging that one could switch betwen different kde search-dialog according to what one is looking for (like a general multifield dialog, a image specialized dialog,...). Ok I am being confusing now

Anyway, I would be glad to discuss about all this with some of you

Happy day/night/weekend

xavier
--
XH