[Digikam-devel] [RFC] Custom ordering of images.

Maxime Delorme maxime.delorme at tiscali.fr
Tue Jul 19 18:41:56 BST 2005

Tom Albers wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I've created a way to allow cusom ordering. The principle is simple: you drag
>an image to the location where you want it to be.
>
>When dragging the image to a new location that image gets the orderid of the
>image you dragged it to and all items inbetween the two images get shifted a
>number.
>
>Because the orderid is unique for all images and not per album, it is possible
>to drag in the tagview and date view.

That really great ! My wife and I were waiting for long time for this
feature

>One of the things which has not been taken care of in the right way is the
>initial assignment of the orderid. I now assign it as soon as i need a
>orderid and it is not there. That results in a small delay when you first ask
>to sort in that way. I'm open to suggestions here. I could leave it this way,
>move it to albumdb when the items get inserted, or do an integretiy check in
>the scanlib. All good options imho.

I suggest "move it to albumdb when the items get inserted", because when
importing picture from camera or from other places, the users could more
easily understand that this operation could take some time

>Anyway suggestions are welcome. The patch is in some parts similar to one
>Cedric posted earlier, which I did not had at hand while working on this, so
>it convinces me the design is ok.
>
>When you are going to try the patch, please backup your database
>(digikam3.db). It is decided that this feature will not make it into 0.8.0
>because it is an intrusive change.

She will have to wait till 0.8.1 Argh ! :-)

Max