[Digikam-devel] Digikam 0.8: Sort albums by date

Renchi Raju renchi at pooh.tam.uiuc.edu
Sun Jul 17 18:45:16 BST 2005

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005, Joern Ahrens wrote:

> digikam's GUI has been changed a lot for the new version 0.8.
> We have splitted the album-tag-view in two seperate views (album and tag view)
> and added some new views like the dateview and the searchview. The views are
> handled by the new sidebar. The sidebar can be hidden / shown by just one
> click to give you more space to display your images.
>
> Well, that's just to make you curious about digikam 0.8 ;-)
>
> Most of you know how to sort the albums by date in the old digikam versions
> "View"->"Sort Albums"->"By date" and the album view changes.
> http://www.digikam.org/users/joern/dateview/dateview-07.jpg
>
> In 0.8 we have a special date view, which sorts the album/images by date.
> http://www.digikam.org/users/joern/dateview/dateview-08.jpg
> The date view can be choosen from the sidebar, like the other views.
>
> I'm going to delete the old "Sort by date" option  from 0.8 because I think,
> the new one is much better to handle and of course looks much better. So the
> old option just bloats the user interface.

after giving it some thought, i think it will be useful to retain this
feature. we do provide an option to set an album date, which is very
useful when you have the dates of the items in the album wrong (wrong
modification dates and missing exif info). then you can use the album date
to correct the dates of the images (not implemented yet, but on the todo
list). "Sort by Date" then becomes a natural extension to having this
property and i don't think it clutters the UI that much. its just one
additional option in the "Sort Albums" submenu.

renchi