[Digikam-devel] Picasa impressions

Mikolaj Machowski mikmach at wp.pl
Tue Jul 5 12:52:07 BST 2005

Hello,

I promised some time ago I will check Picasa. Picasa is program for
management of photographs released by Google. It gets high marks in many
tests, even comparing with commercial tools.

1. They get rid of dependant windows. Almost all is done in one window.
   For example they don't have separate window for browsing of images
   but give maximization of image in default window. It gives easy
   access to many default tools.
2. Rotate left, rotate right (labeled in that way) buttons in default
   setup, always visible.
3. When image has 1:1 size small nav window appears similar to
   navigation window in gimp and user can navigate with that on whole
   image
4. Image tray. Easy way to apply actions for many images at once without
   many uncertainties connected with <Ctrl> selection.

   In general view of images user can select image and press button
   "Hold in tray", image will be added to tray, with mini-thumbnail
   still always visible. Don't have to be worried if selection was
   destroyed by some careless action.

5. Display of histogram with one click on always visible button (not
   hide in submenu), all channels visible at once, below histogram
   display base info about photo: Camera, shutter speed, aperture.

6. Slideshow mode for browsing images with transparent nav panel which
   is almost invisible when not used (not hovered with mouse).

Vim Universal Templates
CLEWN - http://clewn.sf.net