[Digikam-devel] DigiKam Printing

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmx.net
Mon Dec 19 23:29:55 GMT 2005

Anders Lund wrote:
> On Monday 19 December 2005 23:23, Gerhard Kulzer wrote:
>
>>Gutenprint 5.0 from Gimp is what I
>>use to my total satisfaction.
>

> gimpprint is a set of printer drivers, if you configure your printer to use
> one, kdes printing system won't mind a bit.

KDE Print will show all options of the Gimp-Print/Gutenprint PPDs, the
only thing which you get more with the Gutenprint GIMP-plugin dialog is
a better UI, gamma curves, and live preview of changes. So if the
options of the Gimp-Print/Gutenprint PPDs are enough for you, you will
have no problems with KDE apps. If your concern is the missing
Gutenprint dialog, then there is really potential to make DigiKam
printing better, for example by using the Gutenprint dialog or perhaps
even by providing an interface for using GIMP plug-ins in general (and
CinePaint plug-ins for 16-bit support).

And not to forget the image position adjustment, as Gerhard already
mentioned (but there I would suggest that one can also scale the image
bigger than 100 % to be able to crop it, either for full-bleed or to
through away unwished border portions.

   Till