[Digikam-devel] Hotplug and DCOP interface

Tom Albers tomalbers at kde.nl
Thu Dec 15 19:54:39 GMT 2005

Op zaterdag 10 december 2005 18:43, schreef Gilles Caulier:
> Le Samedi 10 Décembre 2005 17:08, Leonid Zeitlin a écrit :
> > Hello DigiKam developers,
> > First of all, thank you for the great application. I've been looking into
> > using DigiKam with hotplug, to automatically start DigiKam when my camera
> > is connected. The instructions on the web site were quite useful, and I
> > quickly had it working. One thing that I've found somewhat inconvenient
> > is that if I connect my camera when DigiKam is already running, a second
> > instance of the application is started. It would be nice if the hotplug
> > script could send a DCOP call to a running instance of DigiKam to show
> > the camera dialog. Unfortunately, I've found out that DigiKam exports no
> > such interface.
> >
> > So I created a quick patch that adds a DCOP interface to DigiKam. Right
> > now it has only one method, cameraAutoDetect to show the camera dialog. I
> > also created a modified digikam-hotplug script to take advantage of the
> > new DCOP call. I'd like to share the patch and the script with the
> > developer community in hopes that you could find it useful. I don't claim
> > that what I implemented is the best and optimal solution to the hotplug
> > issue, but I think a DCOP interface might come handy in many situations.
> > Any feedback is welcome.
> >
> > Thanks a lot,
>
> In first, thanks Leonid to your digiKam interrest. your DCOP interface is
> interressing and i will take a look about your implementation.
>
> I need any feedback about other developpers/users to use it with any
> cameras. Please let's me hear your viewpoints...

I dont have objections, only nitpicks: copyright can not been given to a team,
it must be set to the original author. There is no license, we put it in
every file. There are no apidox comments, they are mandatory for new code, in
the new files our hacking style is not applied and I would have called it
dcopiface instead of digikamiface.

If some users can test it, I think we can put it in 0.8.1 as well.

Tom