[Digikam-devel] extragear/graphics/digikam

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Wed Dec 14 12:56:44 GMT 2005

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005, Gilles Caulier wrote:

> Hi Boudewijn, how are you (:=)))...

No laptop, so not hacking as much as I would like.

> Sure, in the future, we need to improve krita/digiKam interoperability. I
> adding this task in my TODO list, because i had any other stuff to do
> before...
>
> But, there is one point that we can talking now : a common ICC profiles
> repository between krita and digiKam.
>
> Like you have see certainly, digiKam now support ICC profiles to render image
> in editor (printing coming soon).

I noticed from the logs, but haven't had the hd space to build digikam
recently.

> We have started a repository of digital
> still camera profiles at this url :

Adobe has released its high qualit profiles under a quite liberal
license that allows bundling with applications. The openicc project
has determined a standard location for icc files:

/usr/share/icc (and subdirs, but not following links)
and
~/.icc (and subdirs, but not following links)

Krita already supports the former, not the latter, but that's a matter of
adding a little code. We don't let the user select icc files, but build
a list of them and present the product names to the user. We also allow
people to choose a profile that will be applied on paste of clipboard
image data and so on and read the icc profile X Atom in case it's set
(otherwise we use the configured icc profile).

> http://digikam3rdparty.free.fr/ICCPROFILES/
>
> In kde svn, krita provide any common ICC profiles :
>
> http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/koffice/krita/data/profiles/
>
> Questions :
>
> 1 / Perhaps we can merge these places ?
> 2 / Are you sure that includes ICC profiles in svn is the better place ?
> 3 / ICC profiles are (c). Are you sure that you can includes by default krita
> profiles with koffice packages without any problems with commercial
> compagnies ? (This is why digiKam team have copied ICC camera profiles in a
> simple web space, not svn)

The profiles we bundle are all free as in public domain (and of none too good a quality).
I explicitly wanted to avoid having people download profile separately, because Krita
simply does not function without profiles. We've decided that a color isn't a color
unless it has a profile associated with it.

Camera profiles are a different issue, and one I hadn't realized existed until I started
working on our RAW importer.

Boudewijn