[Digikam-devel] exif information: rotate

Rainer Krienke krienke at uni-koblenz.de
Wed Aug 3 12:19:28 BST 2005

On Mittwoch 03 August 2005 11:13, Christian Hesse wrote:
> On Wed Aug 3 09:32:41 CEST 2005, Tom Albers wrote:
> > Have you tried using the digiKam setting for that?
>
> Stupid me. I've not seen this option. Thanks for the hint!

Well I just tried this with photos from my D70. The result were images that
were completely wrong rotated.

What I did was to copy D70 unprocessed images to a digikam album. In the
config of digikam I have the option "rotate according Exif" turned on. The
images are displayed in correct rotation in digikam.

Next I selected "Image->Autorotate/Flip using Exif". The result should be
images that are really rotated according to their exif information so other
applications not aware of EXIF data display the images correctly anyway.

Afterwards images that were previously correctly displayed in digikam in
landscape are suddenly displayed in Protrait Mode and are now wrong. The
Images that really need protrait mode are still in displayed in landscape.
So the result is complete nonsense now. Next I tried to select the menu
"Correct EXIF orientation tag". But this did not change anything. If I now
look at there images in konqueror I see the same problems. So it seems that
the images have been rotated but in a wrong manner.

If I turn off the checkbox in digikam settings  "rotate according to Exif" the
very same trouble is there after selecting "Image->Autorotate/Flip" on the
photos.

I guess there is still a bug.

Usually I do this using jhead -autorot -exonly *.jpg which always works fine
for me.

Have a nice day
Rainer
Rainer Krienke, Universitaet Koblenz, Rechenzentrum, Raum A022
Universitaetsstrasse 1, 56070 Koblenz, Tel: +49 261287 -1312, Fax: -1001312
Mail: krienke at uni-koblenz.de, Web: http://www.uni-koblenz.de/~krienke
Get my public PGP key: http://www.uni-koblenz.de/~krienke/mypgp.html