[Digikam-devel] Is it save to use 0.8?

Thomas Müller mail at elfstone.de
Tue Aug 2 23:29:01 BST 2005

Am Dienstag, 2. August 2005 16:53 schrieb Tom Albers:
> Op dinsdag 2 augustus 2005 17:33, schreef Caulier Gilles:
> > > I know some sql, so if some changes have to be made, that i can fix
> > > with sql-ing around in the database its not a big problem.
> >
> > Tom, can you respond to him about this subject ?
>
> Yes. Database structure has changed a lot, but will not change anymore for
> 0.8. We are still encouraging people who start 0.8 for the first time, to
> start digikam from a console and mail the output on the console to this
> mailinglist.
I was aware, that structure has changed, but the backup of the old db doesnt
help me, if i loose all tags i make with 0.8.
But if you say, data-structure wont change any more, i hope you're right, and
i'll immidiatly switch to dev-version.

Here is the output of my conversion:

digikam: No locale found in database
digikam: Locale found in configfile
digikam: Could not find album with url: /neuebilder
digikam: Most likely an external directory. Rejecting.
digikam: Successfully upgraded database to sqlite3
Checking database consistency
Checking Albums..................(108 Albums) OK
Checking Tags....................(131 Tags) OK
Checking Images..................(275 Images) OK
Checking ImageTags...............(2515 ImageTags) OK
Checking Album icons ...............(108 Album Icons) OK
digikam: WARNING: Tag icon not in Album Library Path, Rejecting
digikam: WARNING: (/neuebilder/pict0321.jpg)
Checking Tag icons ...............(131 Tag Icons) OK

All Tests: A-OK
digikam: ScanLib: Finding non-existing Albums: 14 ms
digikam: ScanLib: Finding items not in the database or disk: 29818 ms
digikam: ScanLib: Updating items without date: 40777 ms

(I lost some tags, but i moved some folders around and back so maybe i lost
them because i started 0.73 while the folder was someplace else)

> We are not completely sure about the conversion utility, because it is
> pretty hard to test without having different database files and would like
> to see the output from a few dozen people before we will start encouraging
> less experienced people to use the 0.8 serie.
>
> By mailing us the debug output we can see if all is ok, this is not only
> for the conversion script, but also for the first run of the new scanLib
> used.
Also i have another strange thing when i start 0.8 for the first time (its the
10th time, i start it for the first time now, since i was switching between
versions and deleting the digikam3.db all the time ;)

There seem to be 188 items in the database which do not appear to be on disk
or are located in the root album of the path. These files should be removed
from the database, but that means you might loose information. digiKam can
not continue without removing these item from the database because all views
depends on the information in the database. Do you want them to be removed
from the database?

Then a list with 188 items i deleted with digikam a short time ago. Maybe when
i delete things with digikam 0.73 they dont get deleted in the database all
the time?

Ah, and yet another bug i found, i have a picture, that makes digikam0.8
crash[1] on scanning. First time i scanned, it always crashed at 71% of
"updating new images" i think. I moved some of the folders and after an hour
i isolated the foto, that makes it crash. Its a 5kb version of a photo that
in the large version doesnt make any problems. Whenever i have this foto in
my Image-directory, digikam crashes now at "scanning new images".
Due to the privat nature of the photo i cant send it to you, but if you tell
me what to look for, i can examine the problem further. [2]
When i start digikam and copy it to my folders, digikam wont display at all,
not even a thumbnail, but "kio_digikamalbu" - process stays on forever.

[1] Stays at 71% forever, 100% cpu-usage.

Do Bugs in 0.8 belong here on in Bug-List?

Greets,
Thomas