[Digikam-devel] TagEdit again

Dominik Fritz digikam at dominikfritz.de
Mon Aug 1 07:35:06 BST 2005

Hi,

after tagging several houndrets of photos with my by Kimdaba inspired tag
editor (http://www.dominikfritz.de/digikam/tagedit.png) I came to the
conclusion that it was actually not very ergonomic to have those three
taglists. Therefore I redesigned it to have only one taglist and instead of
having a dropdown to select the parent tag I show all tags with their full
name in the list (http://www.dominikfritz.de/digikam/tagedit2.png).
To make tagging as comfortable as it could be I sort the tags by the time they
were last assigned. Therefore I added an additional column to the tags table.

As autocompletion works not as wanted to have it with those hierarchical tags
original wanted to implement an inherited class of KCompletion which should
do an autocomplete on substrings. However I was not successfull due to some
not virtual public methods :(
As a workaround I currently use CTRL+T to get an auto completion on
substrings. Even with this little discomfort it's quite easy to quickly tag a
bunch of images with different tags. You just type some characters of the
desired tag, hit ctrl+T, select the tag and hit enter. To navigate to the
next or previous image you can use PgUp and PgDn. Therefore it is possible to
do all this tagging only with the keyboard.

I think this textfield tag editing is quite usefull for people who tag a lot
of images with a lot of tags. While I use drag&drop for tagging some images
with the same tag I think this method is faster If you tag set with different
tags.

For those  who are interested, you can have a look on the screenshot
(http://www.dominikfritz.de/digikam/tagedit2.png) or try
the code (http://www.dominikfritz.de/digikam/tagedit.tar.gz). However please
make a copy of your digikam database because the db gets altered due to the
needed additional column.

Comments, hints, and criticism are welcome,

Dominik