Digest up to date (#253, #254, #255, #256, #257, #258, #259, #260 out)!

Marta Rybczynska marta at rybczynska.net
Wed Nov 14 20:03:48 UTC 2012

> That would be splendid indeed, but it's beyond my expertise.
>

> I tried to bring up some things for the synopsis to put more meat in there.
>
> *Dear editors, please let me know if you this is worthwhile*
>
> ---
> week of 12th to 18th Nov
> ---
>
> 1)
> one of dhaumann's commit messages said something like "removing search and
> replace highlighting from kate. thats a truly sad day"
>
> Intrigued I asked for more, here is what he said:
>
> (I can give it a shot at editing it into somekind of article if it fits our
> purpose)
>
> <dhaumann>
> Up to KDE 4.9, the search & replace highlights stay, even if you close the
> search & replace bar. You had to press Escape to manually remove them.
> From KDE 4.10 on, there will be a notification bar on the bottom of the view
> that tells the user the amount of search & replace matches. This bar stay
> visible for about 6 seconds, then it hides itself automatically. And then,
> i.e. after these 6 seconds, the search & replace highlights are also
> removed.
>
> I wrote "this is a sad day", since I personally liked the previous behavior
> lot. But there seemed to be quite some users who never figured out that
> Escape
> was needed to remove these highlightings :)
>  </dhaumann>
>
> 2)
> Homerun¹, a fullscreen launcher developped by Shaun Reich and Aurélien
> Gateau, made its debut² release. Although it's currently at version 0.1.0,
> it already looks³ functional(4). Integration with Activities (5) is planned
> and other interesting ideas are afloat. Download and build instructions can
> be found at Aurélien's blog²
>

> 1: http://userbase.kde.org/Homerun
> 2: http://agateau.com/2012/11/14/introducing-homerun/
> 3:
> http://agateau.com/2012/11/14/introducing-homerun/thumb_homerun-containment.png
> 4: http://youtu.be/6WcllgzepRY
>
> embedded alternative:
> <iframe width="420" height="315" src="
> http://www.youtube.com/embed/6WcllgzepRY?rel=0" frameborder="0"
> allowfullscreen></iframe>
>
> 5: http://userbase.kde.org/Plasma#Activities

I like both stories. For the first one, has dhaumann agreed to publish his answer? If so,
I think that you can start working on the story. For Homerun, do ou think that we can
contact the team for a special story or just we put one on our own based on the
information present at other sources?

Cheers,
Marta