Akademy talk proposal

Marta Rybczynska kde-i18n at rybczynska.net
Sun Mar 4 11:05:04 UTC 2012

Hello all,
I've written the talk proposal. The complete content is not needed at this
point, only the abstract.

What do you think?

--------------------
One-paragraph description (~60 words)

This talk will help the audience to understand the way we produce the Commit
Digest, the weekly overview
of KDE development activity. It will provide tips for the developers allowing
them to make their features
and applications more visible, but also to get new developers and promote
them.

Abstract (~250 words)

KDE Commit Digest is a weekly overview of KDE development activity based on
commits in KDE repositories.
The digest is created by a team of people reviewing and classifying the
commits.

The main goal of the talk is to create better understanding between the
developers and the digest
team to help each other better. Another important topic will be the ways to
use the digest to reach out
the whole community and even outside of it.

In the technical part, we will describe the digest workflow and point out the
things that help for better
use of the digest. We will tell you how we choose the commits to include in
the digest, will give hints on
the preferred commit message content, special tags that can point to important
changes, writing featured articles, and more.

The second part of the talk will be devoted to the community role of the
digest: informative and promotional.
We will give ideas how you can use it to gain new developers and promote them,
how to promote new interesting
projects and (least but not least) how to gain new users.

We would like the talk to be highly interactive and also get feedback on how
we can help the community to grow.