The future of the Commit-Digest

Danny Allen danny at commit-digest.org
Fri Dec 31 16:31:33 CET 2010

Hi all,
Please read all of this mail, it is important.

I've been thinking a lot over the last few days (it's almost the new year after all!), and i've come to the conclusion that i've hinted at lots before. I hope it is not a surprise to anyone that I can't continue being the weekly editor... i've said all along that i'll build the platform to allow distributed creation of Digests (and this is almost complete), but I never wanted to actually become full time editor like I used to do. I just don't have the time anymore.

I know this is a young community, but it's time to sink or swim! :)
I'm hoping it's swim, and i'll do all I can to help a successful outcome.

So here is my plan.
For the last few days (and the next few too) I have been working on cutting down the Enzyme bugs list that I have, and also working on the final improvements, like the feature editor interface. These improvements are not yet in the production system, but I want to have all the development on this done before 2011.

-------------------------------
This is where you guys come in:
-------------------------------

I urgently need people to help do what i've been doing (ie. chief editor), both to catch up on getting the Digests out the door, and also to take this over going into the future.

This will work out, because in getting the old ones released you can learn what to do - i'll show you how! - for complete new future Digests.

So I need people to come forward for this immediately: not so much for years-long commitment, hopefully we can get a few people to do this, and more in the future, but I need at least one commitment for right now.

A huge problem for me right now is that i'm trying to finish the needed features for Enzyme, and also try and get Digests out the door, which is time consuming since people have selected about 500 commits per issue right now!

Then, over the coming days I can be on IRC / Email to help you learn the ropes.
The main job is:
* doing a final check of included commits, making sure they are classified correctly, removing any boring ones
* writing the synopsis from the weekly commits (this is easier than it sounds)
* pressing publish then submitting a story to the Dot (autogenerated text!)

If this sounds like something you can do (you get the chief editor credit at the top of each Digest you do this for too!), please let me know as soon as possible.

Many thanks,
Danny