Expand Url solutions

Mehrdad Momeny mehrdad.momeny at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 15:45:26 UTC 2016

Hi guys,

So, apparently the longurl.org service is broken and the short urls aren't
being expanded in Choqok any longer. I'm not sure how long it has been like
this, but it's better to fix it.

There're two options that comes to my mind:
1. Fall back to the old simple untiny plugin which wasn't using any online
service, but just tried the short url to see where it goes. It used to work
for most of the cases, with no dependency on external services.
2. Try and find a replacement service for longurl.org.

Additionally, we have the option of using Twitter's API with the expanded
url information to use. Something like Benedikt Gollatz's patch
<https://git.reviewboard.kde.org/r/128748/>, for Twitter only. But to
prevent any conflict the plugin should take this into consideration, which
seems easy, because all of twitter URLs have the t.co domain address which
make it possible to filter them out of the untiny plugin. Thus, the two
solutions seems compatible.

And finally, we can decide to follow Twitter's path in showing a smaller
version of the actual URL instead of keeping the short url in the post
text, and this should be done in both general and twitter cases alike.

Personally, I'm in favor of the first general option in addition to twitter
specific case and following twitter's path in showing of urls.

Do you have any other ideas? what do you suggest or think can work better?

Cheers,
Mehrdad