Autocorrect functionality

Laurent Montel montel at kde.org
Wed Oct 19 06:31:26 BST 2022

Le mercredi 19 octobre 2022, 01:05:19 CEST Albert Astals Cid a écrit :
> Sorry for the cross-posting.
> Please CC me, i'm on none of the two lists
>

> Both pimcommon and calligra have Autocorrect functionality, but PIM one
> broke at some point and I guess no one realized?

Indeed I saw that it didn’t load default file long time ago but didn’t have
time to investigate it.

> PIM is looking for files in
>   GenericDataDir/autocorrect
>
> https://invent.kde.org/pim/pimcommon/-/blob/master/src/pimcommon/autocorrec
> tion/autocorrection.cpp#L1063
>
> PIM does not install nor contain any autocorrect.xml file
>

> Calligra is looking for files both in
>   GenericDataDir/autocorrect and GenericDataDir/calligra/autocorrect
>
> https://invent.kde.org/office/calligra/-/blob/master/plugins/textediting/au
> tocorrection/Autocorrect.cpp#L727
>
> Calligra does contains an autocorrect.xml file that gets installed into
> GenericDataDir/calligra/autocorrect/autocorrect.xml
>

> So unless there's something wrong in my assessment, PIM autocorrect is
> broken, and if it was not broken it would depend on calligra for the files
> to exist since it does not ship its own autocorrect files (that's good,
> since duplication is bad)
>

> Solutions:
>  A) Make PIM look for files also in GenericDataDir/calligra and live with
> the dependency to calligra for the feature

Not a good solution as even me I don’t install it.

> B) Accept that the feature in
> PIM was broken for a long time and just remove it

Not acceptable for sure.

> C) Make a library that both PIM and Calligra use

If you have time ok :)

D) duplicate files, it’s the easy solution.

--
Laurent Montel | laurent.montel at kdab.com | KDE/Qt Senior Software Engineer
Tel: France +33 (0)4 90 84 08 53, http://www.kdab.fr