Words and large files

Pierre pinaraf at pinaraf.info
Tue Mar 23 07:13:21 GMT 2021

On Monday, March 22, 2021 9:01:21 AM CET Dag wrote:
> Hi, opened the odf spec in words the other day.
> This is a document with 800+ pages and a TOC of 60+ pages.
> I did the same in LO to compare.
> Don't take the absolute times too seriously as my box is well into its
> teenage years.
> But, I think comparison with LO says a lot:
>
> Open: 2,5 mins, LO: 40 secs.
> Except that TOC page numers is not shown (just ###), navigation, scrolling
> etc works fine.
> Save: 4 mins, LO: 30 secs.
>
> And now to the bad part:
> When a try to type a character words freezes for about 50 secs.
> It seems the whole doc is re-layouted and also the TOC is updated (page
> numbers appear).

Another source of freeze that should not be underestimated is the collection
of statistics. It's used both for the full stats dock widgets, and for the
words/sentence count at the bottom. On my computer, it uses a full CPU for
almost 1 second. Huge source of pain.
I'll try to make it upgrade on the fly instead of calculating everything over
and over. This should be much smoother.
There is also a similar issue in the TOC generator. It reads the whole
document each time it wants to generate, this seems suboptimal and is going to
be barely usable on such a document.