Minimum dependency versions

Camilla Boemann cbo at boemann.dk
Wed Feb 10 19:45:23 GMT 2021

I agree let's move ahead. We can't be defined by what Jolla does and needs

However let's only do it if development is going to pick up. No need to annoy Jolla and then for everything to stall.

On 10/02/2021 20.39.59, Carl Schwan <carl at carlschwan.eu> wrote:
Le mercredi, février 10, 2021 7:45 PM, Pierre a écrit :

> On Wednesday, February 10, 2021 9:30:43 AM CET Adam Pigg wrote:
>
> > I wish!!! ... try qt 5.6!

> > > I think that the Jolla people still build the documents application with
> > > Qt 5.9.
> > > --
> > > https://www.krita.org
>
> I created this MR then :
> https://invent.kde.org/office/calligra/-/merge_requests/10
>
> At least it's no longer Qt 5.3 / KF 5.7, and a bunch of deprecated stuff is
> cleaned up (I built locally disabling deprecated Qt APIs).
>
> But Jolla decided to stay at Qt 5.6 out of fear from LGPLv3, as far as I
> understand. Does it means Calligra would have to be stuck in an untested
> setup? I no longer have a Jolla phone, do they update from Calligra
> frequently? And is there a lot of people still building with Qt 5.6 and
> testing so we are sure there is no regressions there?

Hi,

Your MR looks good to me. Concerning the minimum version requirement, I worked
a bit last year to remove a lot of warnings and I was blocked to move further
by the minimum requirements.

Personally, I'm not sure if it is worth continuing to support Qt 5.6. Calligra can't
continue to use on Qt 5.6 as the minimum required version for years when we are
moving to Qt 6 in a timespan of 1 or 2 years with the rest of KDE. Also as
you said I'm not sure anyone is testing regressions and the Gemini QML code
is definitively using Qt 5.12 only code. Jolla needs to move forwards with their
LGPLv3 problem or they will end up obsolete compared to the rest of the Qt world.

I would propose moving all the way to Qt 5.12 or even 5.15, so we can start
fixing deprecations in time for Qt6. And maybe in the second step, we should
consider moving to C++17 too.

Regards,
Carl