D19216: Karbon: Enable multi page capability

René J.V. Bertin noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Thu Feb 28 08:47:14 GMT 2019

rjvbb added a comment.

  >   No, the canvas is part of the document and must never be themed. The canvas background is as much part of your drawing as any line you put on it.

  This hasn't been sitting right with me and I finally realised why.

  That statement is true when you work with a real canvas and draw/paint/whatever directly onto that. If you take a grid paper the grid will become part of your art, but does Karbon print the grid which you can have it show (except possibly via an option)?

  In drawing applications, the canvas is NOT part of your art, but simulates the canvas you'll be printing on. It's a backdrop layer that sits behind/below the lowest layer you can draw on. If you plan to print on a coloured piece of paper, or one with a canvassy texture, you'll probably want to adapt your virtual canvas so you can incorporate the physical canvas properties into your design. But you don't want that virtual canvas to print as that would be a waste of toner at best...

  That's not to say that the virtual canvas should not be exportable at all: you'd want to be able to include it when generating a PDF (SVG, JPG, etc) format version for use in on-screen only presentations. Of course you could just add a backdrop layer in that case.

  I'm not aware that Karbon has the equivalent of a slide/page design feature where you can define how each page will look. That could look be used to be achieve what I describe here but in Karbon that layer should probably not be printed by default (just like it isn't in presentation apps, IIRC).

REPOSITORY
  R8 Calligra

REVISION DETAIL
  https://phabricator.kde.org/D19216