Karbon and import from Illustrator

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 09:23:52 GMT 2017

Hi,

I've been making my first steps getting Karbon to build on Mac. There's an issue with QStandardPaths in one of the central KO libraries that I'll need to address properly but that shouldn't be too hard.

My current question is about import from Adobe Illustrator. For some curious reason this works on Mac but not in the equivalent build I did on Linux.

As far as I've been able to determine from the sources there is only a filter for exporting to .ai . Could it be somehow that the mimetype is reported differently on Mac, despite the fact I'm using the same shared-mime-info install?

Either way, I can confirm that import of all .ai documents I tried until now worked fine on both platforms, "as is" on Mac, and on Linux after tricking Karbon by changing the extension to .eps or .pdf . The document information dialog shows the same icon (PDF) for both approaches btw.

NB: these are documents made with Illustrator CS, the first from the Creative Suite series (Illustrator 7.0 if I remember correctly). I always made a point to save my work in PDF compatibility mode so I could use a PDF viewer for quick visualisation, but AFAIK the .ai format was always EPS with the additional info stored in comments.

In other words, it should be straightforward to support a basic form of import:

- using the PDF filter if the file is actually PDF (mine have "%PDF-1.4" as the first few bytes in the file)
- using the EPS importer otherwise.

Or the other way round if that allows preserving more editing information.

I'd appreciate feedback and hints helping me find the correct locations in the source pile (or how to "do this right TM").

Thanks,
R.