Version stuff in CMakeLists.txt

Dag danders at get2net.dk
Thu Jan 5 07:59:11 GMT 2017

Had a closer look at this, and there is some cmake logic when generating
calligraversion.h:
Any 3.0.x unstable (alpha/beta/rc) will get version 2.99.x. (3.1.x will
be 3.0.x, etc)
Afaics this scheme only works when a minor version is increased, e.g
3.0.x -> 3.1.0.
Is this a disaster? Probably not. If you add a conditional compile e.g
in 3.0.1 you cannot test in an unstable release, but that would not be
often, I think.

Alternatives:
1) Add a unstable release number as proposed by Rene.

2) Drop the special unstable numbers (89, 90..) and use the release
number as a sequential number.
E.g: We released stable 3.0.0, so now the unstable will get 3.0.1
(string could be 3.0.1 Alpha) and when we make a new release it would be
3.0.2.
This will give unique and increasing version numbers, with the drawback
that you can not see from version alone if it is unstable or stable, but
we can use version string for that.

Opinions?