state of release and release plan

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Thu Oct 27 12:11:45 BST 2016

Hi Dag & all,

Am Mittwoch, 26. Oktober 2016, 14:03:12 CEST schrieb Dag:
> Hi
> Another month came and went, and not much happened...
> I'm actually a little afraid of releasing because we might attract some
> users.
> Well, to be more precise, that there will be nobody to support those
> users.

If I speak openly that is also my subjective line of thinking.

Making a release of software means giving it to others and thus making a
promise to them, so subscribing to moral responsibilities.

Even while having spent so much time and energy into the porting over the last
two years, I am not sure I am motivated to spent my bit of needed time into
maintenance where needed by non-contributors currently. At least when it comes
to the main Calligra editor apps.

My personal interest is in the middleware and technology, and I joined the
Calligra project because it was closest to what I would like to have, though
with big plans for redesigning basic parts (and quite some draft branches are
on my local disk). Which is also why I never officially signed up as
maintainer of any of the maintainer-less apps, only for the plugins for Okular
and some import filters.

Still, to get some momentum in this discussion, I have just taken the liberty
to push a commit which removes Braindump, Karbon app & Stage app from release
builds, as there is no-one even coming close to be a maintainer. At least with
Stage I hope that commit will trigger someone to react, but then hope dies
last, they say ;)
And by that commit I also express my hope that you the Plan, Sheets & Words
maintainers will still do a release for your software, so that my porting
contributions are coming to someone else's gain still.

Besides that though I have to state now (also to myself) that I have no
personal motivation to drive or invest into any release work right now, as
there is no itch to scratch for myself here, especially when looking at the
consequences.

I will happily assist where possible though anyone with a Calligra 3.0 release
for small related tasks.

> Also, not to be forgotten, KChart and KGantt needs to be released.

Yes, thanks for the push :) Though I have had already started to play around
with the packaging scripts the other WE. As written in private email, planning
for release on latest Nov. 7th.

Cheers
Friedrich