Introduction of a "type mode" and an "unicode mode" of input

Samiur Rahman samiur11 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 3 00:11:29 BST 2016

Jaroslaw wrote: "If so, as such place for its implementation isn't at
Calligra level but at a computer operating system's level, even above Qt
itself."

You can select to type in your keyboard, by selecting your keyboard in the
OS, but usually you need to buy or maybe possibly download a font for your
language or script. The benefit of a "unicode mode" as an input mode in the
office app is that you don't need to buy or download that font.

Camilla wrote: "we have a dialog that allows you to enter specific
charactes from any unicode range"

But you can't actually "type" using those characters that you can choose as
special characters.

Camille also wrote: "yes it is true that the font used to show the text has
to support the script. But a few free unicode fonts do exist already."

A few unicode fonts do exist but only Arial Unicode MS commonly comes with
Windows, I don't know what Linux makes available. The best way to use them,
as I see it, is to implement the "unicode mode" of input in the office
applications, with the two boxes "choose unicodfoe range" and "choose
unicode font," in which you first specify which range you are typing it,
and then choose from a number of fonts that support that range.

Thanks.