map support, Marble and Mac

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Mon Dec 26 17:25:56 GMT 2016

On Monday December 26 2016 17:12:07 Gilles Caulier wrote:
> I just checked. Marble is optional for digiKam. If dependency is not
> resolved, all code relevant are not compiled...

Yes, true. From a packaging (and even more general) point of view it's better though if it's possible to skip the test altogether. This prevents linking opportunistically. A user might have a dependency like Marble available because s/he had just been playing with it, but might now want to link against it, in order to be able to uninstall Marble (or whatever dependency) freely. There are CMake macros that make it very easy to provide a configure switch which is on by default.

Re. the packaging: systems like MacPorts usually want to do reproducible builds, where you get the same result on a build bot that makes the binary distribution images doing every build from scratch, and on a user's machine that may have all kinds of things already installed.

> But your request is more to Marble team. If something need to be improved
> with OSX support (and Windows to bundle application), this must be done in
> Marble, not in client applications.

I also have a request for them, sure. But whether or not dependent projects provide a configure-time switch to depend or not to depend is not up to the Marble team to decide.

Although their .cmake module could of course provide a switch, but that wouldn't be very usual :)

R.