Future releases

Dag danders at get2net.dk
Tue Dec 20 08:12:35 GMT 2016

I'd like to discuss how to handle future releases, we don't want to
continue to burden Boudewijn with it.

To summarize, I see two problem areas:
- Who can generate the final release tarball. (pnt 4 below)
   It must be someone with a trusted pgp key (I'm not trusted, so can't
do it).
   It should take <30 minutes, so is there somebody out there who could
help?

- Somewhere to upload tarball for testing/checking before released to
download.kde.org.
   I thought about ftp://upload.kde.org/incoming but I don't think that
is possible?

To ensure (as much as possible) that things will go smoothly I'm working
on a release script
and also plan to add more autotesting of the messages generation
framework.
We can't have another mess like this time.

So I propose a release cycle like this:

1. ~2 weeks before release; string freeze and feature freeze
2. Closer to release some of us (I) create tarball, test and check if
ok.
3. When ok, tag git
4. Create release tarball, upload for testing
5. Somebody (I) download tarball, build and test to verify it is ok
6. Publish tarball on download.kde.org (or possibly upload.kde.org)
7. Notify packagers and wait some time (a week?) for feedback
8. Announce to the world

What have I missed?
Solutions (and comments) are welcome

Cheers,