Copying doc strings into app strings

Yuri Chornoivan yurchor at ukr.net
Sat Sep 19 08:31:30 BST 2015

19 вересня 2015, 07:57:01, від "Łukasz Wojniłowicz" <lukasz.wojnilowicz at gmail.com>:

>   Hallo all,
>
> I translate Krita and encountered such string.
>
> > Hewlett-Packard and Microsoft designed sRGB to match the color gamut of
> > consumer-grade CRTs from the 1990s. sRGB is the standard color space for the
> > world wide web and is still the best choice for exporting images to the
> > internet.

The sRGB color gamut was a good match to calibrated
> > decent quality CRTs. But sRGB is not a good match to many consumer-grade LCD
> > monitors, which often can't display the more saturated sRGB blues and
> > magentas (the good news: as technology progresses, wider gamuts are
> > trickling down to consumer grade monitors).

Printer color gamuts
> > can easily exceed the sRGB color gamut in cyans, greens, and yellow-greens.
> > Colors from interpolated camera raw files also often exceed the sRGB color
> > gamut.

As a very relevant aside, using perceptual intent when
> > converting to sRGB does not magically makes otherwise out of gamut colors
> > fit inside the sRGB color gamut! The standard sRGB color space (along with
> > all the other the RGB profiles provided in my profile pack) is a matrix
> > profile, and matrix profiles don't have perceptual intent tables.
>
> It looks like lengthy text copy-pasted from Wikipedia and in my opinion should
> be put in documentation for Krita. There are many more of such strings e.g.
>
> > To avoid possible copyright infringement issues, I used 'WideRGB' as the
> > base name for these profiles.

WideGamutRGB was designed by Adobe to
> > be a wide gamut color space that uses spectral colors as its primaries.
> > Pascale's primary values produce a profile that matches old V2 Widegamut
> > profiles from Adobe and Canon. It's an interesting color space, but shortly
> > after its introduction, Adobe switched their emphasis to the ProPhotoRGB
> > color space.
>
> This string looks like snippet out of developer's diary...
>
> Are there no conditions for strings to be assigned either doc or app string?
> Regards
> LW

Hi,

These strings are from the new color profiles package. Personally, I do not think they can be separated into docs in the common sense. The notes were copied from the original work by Elle Stone. The only way to make them easier to translate is to shorten them (just my 2 cents).

The message is cc-ed to calligra-devel for further consideration.

Best regards,
Yuri