Just building 2.9 against stable things on CI, anyone objects?

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Wed Sep 9 18:10:36 BST 2015

Hi,

when master became Qt5/KF5-based, I updated the kde-build-metadata to point to
2.9 for both the stable and the latest branch for qt4-based stuff (metadata
expects those 2 variants). Because this was the pattern with all other
projects that no longer do feature development against qt4/kdelibs4.

Which also results in 2 builds now done for 2.9:
calligra calligra-2.9 stable-qt4, building against all stable variants of kde4
stuff
calligra calligra-2.9 latest-qt4, building against all latest variants of kde4
stuff

Which is a problem, because it keeps CI busy now for double the time on new
commits to 2.9 (and also means duplicated notifications). Which in turn also
means delayed feedback on commits to master branch, as Calligra got it's own
separate build slave on CI, to avoid denial-of-service for the other projects.

I would propose to only keep the first build and drop the second, as it should
not really make that much difference, given that most other qt4-based projects
Calligra uses are not moving a lot anymore as well.

This is possible, because given no other project currently relies on
Calligra('s libraries), there is no need to also provide a latest-qt4 version
build on CI whose products then could be used for other latest-qt4 builds.

I would request that change upcoming Tuesday, Sep. 15th, unless somebody
objects meanwhile and can tell an important reason to keep building both
against stable-qt4 and latest-qt4 versions of other KDE project. Is there any
external dependency from KDE which still changes a lot in the qt4 version?

Cheers
Friedrich