Coding standard for qdebug in libs

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Tue Sep 8 20:31:51 BST 2015

Am Samstag, 5. September 2015, 12:55:28 schrieb Jaroslaw Staniek:
> With increasing modularity it's quite important
> for our debugging needs to have logging categories.

Agreed.

> A scheme could be like
> {libnamelowercase}{Debug|Warning|Critical}()

+1 for that scheme. Simply because that namespace-prefixing seems to match the
usual namespace-prefixing as done with classes/files, don't see another reason
for/against.

> I also propose to use a libname prefix for the header name. This is
> what many bits in KF5 do. So we won't have to deal with dozens files
> prefixed with "Debug" soon (so libpigment's DebugPigment.h could
> become PigmentDebug.h or pigment_debug.h).

When I looked into debug porting for libs/ last week (still need to complete
end of next week, so anyone wants to take over meanwhile? no code yet written
here), I wondered if installed headers better should not include any debug-
only headers at all.
But with publix/exported templates which need/better have debug statements
that might be unavoidable. Still not really sure though, it somehow seems
dirty to me :)

Cheers
Friedrich