The message about Calligra 3.x

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Sat May 2 10:10:56 BST 2015

I'm not really hung up on version numbers, but I do agree that we
shouldn't give a '3.0' to end users... I would prefer handling the
transition like this:

3.0: we're done with the basic porting, applications start, show icons and
content, load all their resources. I think we're close, but I've still got
two or three big problems to fix for Krita:

* the Vc issue
* Krita's main window needs to be resized to draw correctly
* icon weirdnesses

I would say, we tag 3.0, we call it a day, and we don't release 3.0
tarballs to packagers, I'm not going to make 3.0 windows builds (couldn't
anyway, frameworks on Windows is still a problem, besides adding a dozen
or so extra libraries to the windows build is going to take ages).

Then we start with 3.1 pre-alpha: we split the git repository as discussed
before, and start looking into what's needed to really release a
Qt5/Kf5-based version of our applications to the public.

In parallel, I expect that work on 2.9 will continue and that we'll go on
releasing feature-releases based on 2.9 for the rest of the year. After
opening development for 3.1, merging changes is going to be tough, and I'm
not yet sure how to handle that, but I don't think there's an alternative.

I agree with Friedrich that trying to make 2.9 and 3.1 co-installable is
going to be a nightmare, for us and for users. But by the time 3.1 is
ready for release, we should be ready to drop 2.9.

> To get feedback from community users eager to give feedback by testing,
> perhaps app container systems could be used (said anyone "docker"? or whatever
> will be the latest tool there). And then there are the OSX and Win worlds
> where I have no clue of (and interest in ;) ).

Co-installability on Windows and OSX is easy. It's only *nix where
applications thread themselves all through the system. Docker might be a
solution here (I actually don't see what's the difference is between
docker and snappy and what we used to have, klik packages...)

Boudewijn