Preview of astyle-kdelibs changes up in a branch (was: Re: [Port blocker] Re: [Kexi-devel] RFC: plan for starting the Qt5/KF5 port)

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Tue Mar 10 12:34:43 GMT 2015

On Fri, 6 Mar 2015, Elvis Stansvik wrote:

>       Hi!
>
> I looked through the patch and updated the google docs:
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jhq6oXuXKvTilJhcoS6FVKO7yYRu2yCgBS9ojhc2QRU/edit#
>
> The changes which I believe we must fix before applying it to master:
>
> 1) Inlined functions. They are not covered by the KDE style policy, so I believe we should follow Qt- and KDE- style of handling inlined functions with the opening brace at the signature line. It
> applies only to the functions declared *and* defined inside the class itself.
>

> I can't see Qt following this rigorously. Here's an example of both styles mixed in the same file:
>
>    https://github.com/qtproject/qtbase/blob/dev/src/corelib/io/qfileinfo_p.h
>
> Why not try to be consistent in Calligra and use the same style everywhere (inline or not inline)? Less rules to remember.

Yes, I wouldn't call this a blocker.

>       2) "Wrong alignment of function parameters". See the corresponding topic in the google docs. Astyle seems to be a bit broken here, because in some places it applies correctly, and in some not.
>       The units that are always wrong are constructors.

This is worse -- do you know whether this is tunable, Friedrich?
I wish that for this and the next problem, it were possible to use Qt
Creator's whitespacer, that does the correct thing...

>       3) "Indentation of multiline conditionals is wrong". See the corresponding topic in the google docs. Should be 8 spaces instead of 12.
>
> I think we should commit the patch only after we fix at least these three issues.

Are they fixable? If not, it's a matter of deciding what is worth more:
finally getting rid of all the misplaced stars, brackets and so on, or
fixing up these issues manually. I guess I could try to load all files in
Kate and apply its clean indentation manually...

But we need a resolution for this, because it's blocking me porting
calligra/libs so the rest of the porting effort can start!

Boudewijn