[KDE/Mac] about the kde4_add_plugin macro, and shared vs. module building

Benjamin Reed rangerrick at befunk.com
Mon Mar 9 22:15:46 GMT 2015

On 3/9/15 3:32 PM, René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> Are there other OSes where this doesn't work by definition? On OS X it's only when you create a plugin using -bundle which in turn is probably required only if you don't want to roll your own loading code to access the host application's functions.

Unless it has changed recently, on OSX .dylibs are dynamically loadable,
but not *un*loadable, because dynamically loading shared libraries was a
bit of a hack on top of Mach-O.  Support for loading -- rather than
linking -- dylibs was originally a 3rd-party library that Apple later
integrated, but it had limitations because of the way Mach-O works
internally.  Bundles are loadable /and/ unloadable but can't be linked
against.

HP-UX had similar issues with their particular brand of a.out as well
IIRC, but I am not sure of the current state of that platform.

All of my memories of this are from the OSX 10.3/10.4 timeframe, back
when we were first figuring out how to make dynamic loading play well
with KDE on OSX, so I may be getting some details wrong. :)

--
Benjamin Reed a.k.a. Ranger Rick a.k.a. Raccoon Fink
Open Source and Mac OS X development

Blog: http://me.raccoonfink.com/
Music: http://music.raccoonfink.com/