Proposal: standardized (subdir) names for 3rdparty/generated code

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Fri Mar 6 19:05:18 GMT 2015

Am Freitag, 6. März 2015, 08:07:07 schrieb Elvis Stansvik:
> > Hi,
> >
> > so I spent quite some time scanning the sources, below is what I found as
> > TODO.
> >
> > So the idea still is: put 3rd-party code into a subdir "3rdparty" and put
> > generated and committed code into a subdir "generated", either locally or
> > globally. This allows automatted handling of such code files in
> > scripts/greps
> > etc, and also helps understanding code when looking for the big picture.
> >
> > I propose to apply the changes listed below in 2.9, I do not see a risk in
> > breaking something. Only the cmake files should be affected, and perhaps
> > some
> > includes. The more things are consistent in 2.9 with master/future
> > frameworks
> > branch, the better.
> >
> > Please also tell what generated files or 3rd-party code is missing from
> > the
> > list below
>
> I did just a quick search, but it seems you've been thorough.

I tried at least, but the massive amount of files is hard to scan quickly or
by some terms tried with "grep", so anything but sure I got them all.

> I wonder about the two files:
>
>   krita/plugins/formats/jpeg/iccjpeg.(h|c)
>
> They are 3rdparty code afaics, but not in their own directory. I guess the
> 3rdparty README in that directory pertains to them?

No, that README got committed
78e5ce41afb832e088850fe76461d0ccd76ef665
some years after those two files
0fe9b9fca98af9221cfa16d915891b28ee841987

Not really sure why that commit added the README, perhaps some code snippets
used in the manually written files of the same commit are in the license
mentioned in the README... no idea :/

> Maybe they should be given their own directory?

Yes, good find, at least iccjpeg.(h|c). Will move to
krita/plugins/formats/jpeg/3rdparty/lcms

Cheers
Friedrich