Flake event handling changes - draft proposal

Tomas Mecir mecirt at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 09:57:14 GMT 2015

Hi Inge, thanks for the feedback!

> The problem, as you say, right now is that the user can edit shapes but
> then
> has no easy way to get back to the default operation. The only way is to
> go to
> the toolbox and select the right tool, i.e. visual tab in the toolbox for
> the
> operation. This is very unituitive and we have actual bug reports that say
> "I
> can't get back to edit cells in Sheets after inserting a chart".

Yeah, this all is accounted for in the design, though it seems I haven't
worded it well enough.

1. Single click in a shape selects that shape and activates the default
> shape
> tool where you can move, resize, scale and rotate the shape.
>  2. Double click in a shape selects that shape and activates the shape
> specific
> tool. Examples would be the chart tool for chart shapes and path editing
> for
> path shapes.

I'm thinking that the single click would bring you right into mode 2, with
mode 1 as an overlay, but that is very specific and can easily be adjusted
once the basics are in.

>  3. Click anywhere outside any shape when the default shape is active
> unselects all shapes and returns to normal editor mode, which is specific
> for
> each application.

That's indeed the plan.

>  4. <Escape> key deactivates the shape specific tool if one is active and
> activates the default shape tool. (Some special tools may have internal
> states
> that use <escape> ending some user interaction. If so, then the user may
> have
> to press <escape> twice.)

Don't have this one included, but it'd be easy to add.

> The good thing about this solution, as far as I can see, is that it would
> mean
> very small changes to flake and none to any shape. So this should be
> possible
> to get in before 2.9. We shouldn't be doing this now, but the current user
> interaction problems are so horrible that I think we should make an
> exception.
> And this is especially since 3.0 will probably be quite unstable and buggy
> and
> should be regarded more like a tech preview than a real release.
>

> There is one thing we would lose with this solution, though: rubber band
> selection of shapes. If any click outside a shape leads automatically to
> deselecting all shapes and reverting to the default tool for each
> application
> then we can't use drag operations to select shapes.

Is this a concern? I'm not really seeing this use case being very frequent,
but it can easily be done too.

/ Tomas