Why I love(d) Krita to be part of Calligra (was: Re: After 2.9.7)

Cyrille Berger cberger at cberger.net
Mon Aug 31 11:19:32 BST 2015

On Sunday 30 August 2015 17:30:22 Sven Langkamp wrote:
> We started out offering endless choise for the users and gave them
> everything. But at some point it became clear that in many cases it was
> just overkill. We spend a huge amout of time to fix things like bugs that
> showed up in Krita when a spreadsheet was insert. That's a feature that no
> user ever needed. So over time we dialed back the available shapes until we
> have only simple geometry, paths and text.
> The same happend with tools which felt often out of place and Krita, so we
> made tools that wrapped around flake tools. To this day users are confused
> by tools that don't behave like the rest of Krita.

To be honest, it was/is a problem for office application. The KOffice2 idea of one
UI to fit them all, was a bad idea. We saw that in sheets that had a weird tool
for editing cells, then words started to get a completely different UI. And I
got unhappy with braindump because the tools didn't fit so well.

So in this end, a split between model and view in flake would be a good idea
for office applications and krita. and would be needed for developing mobile UI.
And would make it possible for me to provide the correct UI for braindump.

--
Cyrille Berger Skott