Words - how to add a way for users to change page styles ?

Pierre pinaraf at pinaraf.info
Sun Oct 19 23:35:47 BST 2014

Hi all

Right now, words implement most features regarding page styles in ODF, but our
user interface lacks far behind, allowing users to apply only one style to the
whole document.
This creates confusion and is a huge feature gap that require mostly user
interface work.
Creating such an interface is a complicated work, and I've never been satisfied
by the LibreOffice nor MS-Word interfaces.
I've just done a crude proof of concept in words showing how I think we could
implement page styles. The crudeness makes the screen shots harder to
understand, but I only want to show the «spirit» of the idea.

Between each page, I add in the «empty» gray area the page style names.
A double click on a page style name prompt you for the page style change (the
hack implements this with a rude QInputDialog…), could offer you to introduce a
page break… and you're done.

This seems to me user friendlier than LibreOffice way of doing it (Insert >
Manual Break, then choose to change the page style… and if you want to change a
style afterwards, right click and get lost in paragraph properties)

So attached to this mail is a simple screenshot of what this could look like…
I won't share the hack code right now, it's broken and beyond redemption :)

Thanks

 Pierre