When to branch off 2.9 (was: Re: 2.8.7 and 2.9 release plan)

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Sun Nov 23 23:41:46 GMT 2014

Am Sonntag, 23. November 2014, 23:05:02 schrieb Jaroslaw Staniek:
> On 23 November 2014 at 22:14, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau <kossebau at kde.org>
wrote:
> > So, anyone opposing delaying the branching until the port will start?
>
> Honestly, I think technical means wouldn't stop everyone from working
> of features instead of porting. Global agreement to the plan would
> make the trick. So I would be in favour of branching as usual. Unless
> I misunderstood something.

Could also be me who is misunderstanding things :)

So far I assume that porting will happen directly in master, given that the
port to Qt5/KF5 is the main target of 3.0. So the day that porting will start
master is not really usable for feature development anyway, and it will take
some weeks (also ideally new features should be done again only once porting
is mainly done).

So it does not really make sense to start new features in master (also to not
conflict with the start of the port).
So the idea was that early branching would only complicate things, as in the
weeks until the port starts only fixes would be done, which then would have to
be backward/forward-ported all the time, for no good reason.

Those who want to work on features would still be able to do so all the time
anyway, in some branch (and surely based on before-port-start while the port
is going-on)

Cheers
Friedrich