building with clang - or, where does -fdelayed-template-parsing come from?

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 08:52:06 GMT 2014

Hello,

Since OS X requires the use of clang for anything involving C++ these days, I thought it'd be useful to test building calligra with that compiler on Linux too. There are other advantages: clang is (usually) faster, and recent versions can even generate more efficient code than gcc does. And of course it is capable as acting as a cross-compiler, allowing to use it with distcc in a heterogeneous environment :)

Except that it doesn't like the -fdelayed-template-parsing option, at least when building Sheets. Removing that option from the failing build commands make them succeed, but I cannot certify that this results in code with the exact same functionality.

I've tried to trace down where the option comes from, to no avail. The pattern 'fdelayed-template-parsing' cannot be found in either Calligra's CMake* and *.cmake files, nor in my cmake installation (/usr/share/cmake*}. It is also not a result of using distcc. When I use gcc (4.8) as my compiler, the option is also given, but in a much more limited number of cases, judging from the number of flags.make files matching the pattern.

So how might I hunt down the origin of this option, and the reason it is generated? Interestingly I didn't stumble across it when I built Calligra with clang on Mac OS X...

Thanks,
R.