2.8.x maintenance plan and 2.9 ?

Cyrille Berger cberger at cberger.net
Wed Apr 9 08:55:33 BST 2014

On 2014-04-09 09:07, Jaroslaw Staniek wrote:
> Dear All,
> I proposed regular patch releases at
> [http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/calligra-devel/2014-April/010821.html
> [3]]. Practically this would be like below:
>
> 2.8.2 May 3
> 2.8.3 May 31
> 2.8.4 June 28
> 2.8.5 July 26
> 2.8.6 Aug 23
> 2.9.0 Sep 20

We already have regular patch releases plan:
http://community.kde.org/Calligra/Schedules/2.8/Release_Plan

They are currently set on: +2 weeks for .1, +3 weeks for .2, +1 month
after that.

> In this approach the number of releases (and time between them) is
> more important than exact dates. We can skip a release but we never
> know today, so it's better to have a plan.

It seems to me that having no published plan is better than having a
plan that we don't follow. That is why I haven't put anything after
2.8.4, usually there is not much happening then anymore.

> I have to admit, without covering the time with regular releases,
> users that depend on certain improvements of Kexi have to build master
> by hand... It's a constant work-in-progress state because of how big
> the app becomes (5 apps in one actually and growing).
>
> I am willing to help with some release tasks (when not AFK once or
> so).

What is really needed is someone to work on the changelog. The best for
patch releases would be to have some automatic tool, but in lack of
that, someone who volunteer to hand collect from the changelog the
relevant item would be very appreciated.

--
Cyrille Berger Skott