Rename Coffice?

Sebastian Sauer mail at dipe.org
Sat Mar 30 07:07:42 GMT 2013

On 03/29/2013 05:31 PM, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> On Thursday 28 March 2013 Mar 18:20:01 Thorsten Zachmann wrote:
>> Hello Sebastian,
>>
>> On Thursday 28 March 2013 18:10:35 Sebastian Sauer wrote:
>>> * Or alternatively port Calligra to Qt5.
>> boud is working on that and in the same time trying to reduce the kde
>> dependencies where needed and remove the usage of kparts.
>>
>> Maybe you can join forces.
> Right now, I'm still in the explorative stages, but I hope to get some ways over Easter.

What do you plan there re kdelibs/kdeframeworks?

For cmake imho the easiest thing would be something similar to what I
did at:
https://github.com/sebsauer/Charm/commit/5106c0385cabc27bb5a65f64321e3bf267fd7a32

Means introduce own QT_* / KDE_* / CALLIGRA_* cmake variables that are
then used everywhere and depending on the Qt/kde version compiled
against set with Qt4/Qt5 vs kdelibs4/kdeframework variables. I must
admit my knowledge about kdeframeworks/kdelibs at Qt5 is so outdated that
its not existing. So, no idea how compatible/doable that is, what the
state there is, etc.

The advantage I see here is that the current Qt4+kdelibs4 solution would
keep working and the chunk of work to make Qt5+kdeframeworks working
could be split and done step by step (e.g. library by library) rather
then with one big patch/commit and switch needed + the result would work
fine with Qt4/kdelibs and Qt5/kdeframeworks what may interesting at
least for some time till all was ported/tested and is releasable with
Qt5/kdeframeworks. So, it would allow a soft-switch with work going in
chunks into master while keeping things working as there are.

I think that, the cmake work, is indeed the by far biggest part of work.
Second may probably changed kdelibs API/includes/library-names.
Personally I found the Qt4=>Qt5 switch rather easy and straith-forward.
Usually its mostly changing some includes here and there and some "#if
QT_VERSION < 0x050000 .... #ELSE .... #ENDIF" cases where API was
changed. The equivalent to the cmake Qt4/Qt5-link above for compile+link
with Qt4/Qt5 (to give an impression) is:
https://github.com/sebsauer/Charm/commit/b3a2bd17dfaffcb24e0c3e25520cf473df815a3f

 From my personal experience (also based on kde3/qt3=>kde4/qt4) such a
soft switch is worth diamonds. It also has the advantage to fullfit the
golden porting rule of "never refactor while porting" in that it enables
clear separation/testing/splitting of work done.