Coffice milestone 2

Sebastian Sauer mail at dipe.org
Sat Mar 16 19:14:30 GMT 2013

Aloha,

so you may have noticed that within last week(s) I landed a bunch of
commits in a Calligra branch named "coffice".

Coffice (Calligra Office or coffee-in-office) is the try to get Calligra
on to mobile. More concrete I target Android for now (BB10 and Sailfish
would be the next candidates).

Goals are:
* Focus on a Calligra Words ODT viewer. Next step would be to add
doc/docx support. Later Sheets and Stage.
* Slim! That means as small packages as possible. No huge +100MB packages.

Work done:
* kdelibs dependency got stripped out and Coffice is Qt only. For that I
introduced a "fake" library that maps kdelibs 1:1 to Qt without all the
functionality, daemons, etc. Most of kdelibs is not needed and those
that is needed (KArchive only) was ported over.
* I decided to go with qmake rather then cmake. Reason is qmake works
out of the box with all those Qt mobile SDK's out there,
* Most of libs links+compiles, textshape+variables+pictureshape plugins
link+compile and Words itself linls+compiles.
* It links+compiles AND runs on my Galaxy Tab 2 Android 4.2.2 device and
desktop.
* ODT documents are proper loaded and ddisplayed (pictureshape and
variables disabled atm).

Work still to do:
* There where a few odd crashes but maybe I fixed most of them short
before he commit. Needs more investigation and fixing if needed.
* While the renderer (render the view to an image and display the image)
is threaded and it seems to work I did disable it for now (means not
threaded yet). Needs more smoke-testing.
* Zooming (eg pinch-to-zoom) isn't done yet.
* UI is ugly, misses functionality, well its a pre-alpha release :)

To the results:
* I succeeded! :) Well, it compiles, links, runs, works and does the job.
* Also the Android package (and install size) of the result is *3* MB
including everything but Qt (which is not part of the package). Now
that's what I name slim and there is lots of room for future
improvements. It should be possible to cut it down to half that size but
3MB is already pretty good and so future trimming/slimming isn't my top
priority,

Try yourself:
1. *THIS IS TESTING ONLY*
2, Please not distribute the link since I have limited traffic, Thanks :)
3. I will blog about that with the next milestone which I plan to
publish as official first release in e.g. Google Play / f-droid.
4. http://kross.dipe.org/calligra/Coffice-debug.apk

p.s. to compile the code yourself you need to:
git checkout coffice
git apply coffice/Calligra-01.patchfile
cd coffice
qtcreator coffice.pro
setup, compile, test, give feedback and enjoy life :)