Roadmap to Calligra Mini

Sebastian Sauer mail at dipe.org
Mon Jun 17 20:11:40 BST 2013

On 06/18/2013 12:50 AM, Shantanu Tushar Jha wrote:
> During the sprint we started work on reusable Qt Quick components for
> Calligra. The idea was to make it easy for people to create apps as they'll
> just have to use the right QML component and everything else will just work
> magically. All this lies in the branch active-calligratouch-shantanu (which
> adds a new toplevel dir qtquick/ in calligra and then active/ uses those
> components to show docs). It has couple of hardcoded paths, but works very
> well with just this code (Test.qml) -
>
> import QtQuick 1.1
> import org.calligra.CalligraComponents 0.1 as Calligra
>
> Flickable {
>      Calligra.PresentationCanvas {
>          id: canvas
>          source: "presentation.odp"
>          anchors.fill: parent
>      }
> }
>
> There are similar components for Text docs, spreadsheets as well. This
> should save a lot of reinvention when trying to render documents on a QML
> based UI.

Yep, Calligra Active was even the starting point when I begun that. I
switched away when going full threaded cause that was requiring a
complete different architecture and design. In Coffice all of Calligra
runs in another thread then the UI/QML. That means all operations are
asynchronous in Coffice unlike in Active and Calligra will never be able
to block the UI. Also I bundle all plugins into one plugin, all filters
into one filter and delay loading in Coffice plus don't use KDE
plugin-lookup (aka sycoca) cause sycoca isn't present, I rewrote the kde
factory/plugin/kpart stuff, etc. pp.

Since all that happened Qt5 progressed and meanwhile (means not so long
ago) work on scenegraph-based QTextDocument/QTextEdit landed. So, for
Qt5 there may an option (with very likely lots of additional work needed
for our use-cases) to solve the no-go all-in-one-thread problem at
another level. On the other hand there would still be work needed to get
potential long-blocking operations like loading threaded which is all
solved in Coffice as of today already.... Well, we will see.