Calligra 3.0 for Qt 5.1?

Arjen Hiemstra ahiemstra at heimr.nl
Tue Jul 30 10:32:49 BST 2013

On Monday 29 July 2013 20:44:03 Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> * check whether an autosave document belongs to another open instance of an
> application * remote slideshow management for Stage
> * IPC for the kioslaves. I need to check, though, there used to be an effort
> to make kioslaves run in-process...
> > I think this port should currently happen in a separate branch. I will
> > personally try to use it for my development and back/forward-port my
> > patches between it and master. And I would really like to avoid breaking
> > the KIO-based features. Or at least make it configurable by cmake.
>
> kio has another problem, besides dbus and the multi-process model, and that
> is it's tight coupling to QWidget -- if the functionality kio gives us that
> users are really using can be simply implemented with a few lines of code,
> then I would prefer that. D&D from firefox probably is easy to replace, and
> I really wonder how many users are loading documents using the ftp, fish or
> http kioslaves on a regular basis.

Just a quick comment on this: KIO is being split into KIO core and KIO
widgets[1] so that issue goes away. I'd also argue that KIO core really should
have an in-process fallback that doesn't depend on dbus. But I guess that is
something to take up with David Faure.

[1]: http://community.kde.org/Frameworks/Epics/Splitting_kdelibs