An Interesting Observation (Huge Regression in Sheets)

jigar raisinghani jigarraisinghani at gmail.com
Mon Jul 22 08:06:59 BST 2013

Hi,
           While digging into the code for the shape bug I realized that
Sheets is not really ignoring the shape after adding them. The problem is
that handling of shapes is not proper.

To Reproduce:

Add a shape. Switch to Shape Handling Docker and now move the cursor over
the shape. In case it doesn't work, try selecting one of the cells under
the added shape and then repeat the procedure. You would be able to move
the shape, connect the shapes and some more operations.

So the problem is that sheets is not completely ignoring the shapes but
rather not handling it properly as I was not able to edit the shapes/delete
it anyhow. This seems to be worse than before when we assumed that after
being able to select the shape, editing and rest of the things would be
taken care of. (If you are not able to reproduce, I will try to record the
screen and send a video. I would have but could not find a suitable
recorder)

Moreover, I am not sure how shapes SHOULD be handled in sheets.
1) Unlike words, Sheets has a grid and so the shape should be either across
cells/ in one cell(resized according to the size of shape)?
2) What happens to the cells below the shape(Should they be editable or
not)?
3) If I were to select the shape, should it be by pressing the cursor
somewhere inside the shape itself or by selecting any of the cells which
have some/complete part of the cell?

Regards,
Jigar Raisinghani