HUGE regression in sheets

Inge Wallin inge at lysator.liu.se
Fri Jul 19 07:36:25 BST 2013

I have found a huge regression in sheets.

I and Cyrille wanted to release 2.7.0 on monday. I have set aside time during
the weekend for the announcement and a visual changelog.

But I have found a huge regression in sheets that I think is a release
blocker. But fortunately it's probably very easy to fix for somebody who
understands the code.  Here is what happens:

To see the bug, create a spreadsheet and fill it with some numbers.  Now insert
a chart, or in any other shape at all - but a chart is how I discovered the
problem. Then try to select the chart to change it using the tool. You can't!
The reason is that sheets refuses to acknowledge the shape and instead selects
the cell(s) below it.

I suspect that this regression came with the new toolbox. If it did, it should
be easy to fix by reverting that patch, which was quite small if I remember
correctly.  But a better fix would be to make sheets select shapes before
cells.

Do we have time to fix this today or in the weekend and still release on
monday?  Apache OpenOffice is going to release 4.0 on wednesday and I don't want
to collide with that. It's probably going to get a lot more attention than we
are.

	-Inge