RFC: Bumping min. KDE Platform version to 4.6.0

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Sun Jan 27 16:28:11 GMT 2013

Hi,

while I was working on sheets/plugins/calendar/CalendarTool.cpp to fix the
code for the "deprecated!" warnings in there I wondered why we still depend on
KDE 4.3 as minimum platform, especially now that the min. required Qt version
has been bumped to Qt 4.7

Questions:
* is anybody known to rely on a KDE Platform <4.6?
* is known if the KDE Platform <4.6 works okayish with Qt 4.7?

Some background data:
KDE Platform 4.3.0 was released on August 4th, 2009
Qt 4.7.0 was released on September 21th, 2010
KDE Platform 4.6.0 was released on January 26th, 2011 (min. Qt 4.7.2
recommended), so 2 years ago.

Why would I prefer a bump of the min. kde platform to 4.6.0:
* There are around 50 places all over Calligra's code with KDE_IS_VERSION
which could be removed then.
* kdelibs 4.3 was still young and more buggy, so 4.6 should be more reliable
* combination of kdelibs 4.3 and Qt 4.7 might be not very common, is untested
if things work properly
* And it would save me from having to add more then 10 KDE_IS_VERSION(4.6.0)
to sheets/plugins/calendar/CalendarTool.cpp :)

So, anyone objecting a bump of the min KDE Platform version to 4.6.0?
Other comments?

Cheers
Friedrich