next release and release pace in general

Inge Wallin inge at lysator.liu.se
Wed Jan 23 17:25:59 GMT 2013

On Wednesday, January 23, 2013 12:05:43 C. Boemann wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm worried about our release pace. For 2.6 Words was able to make exactly
> 0 new features. Sure we made several fixes, but apart from a few strings
> those could (almost) just as well have gone into a bugfix release.
>
> I'm also worried that even though we do manage to put in an occasional new
> feature, we don't make good enough PR out of it, simply because every
> release contains so few new things that people miss the big picture. I
> think Amarok has released new features over the last few years but because
> they do like we do, I'm not at all sure they even released.
>
> What I'm saying is that I think we are not making a big enough splash.
>
> And I'm also saying that personally I feel like I've been in a constant
> release mode, fixing bugs, since our first release. Now bug fixes are
> needed for sure and I also like that we are stabilizing. Don't get me
> wrong here.
>
> But hacking should also be about having fun and having time to make new
> stuff.
>
> Personally I think we should go back to release when we have enough to make
> a splash. That can be 2 months or 9 months. It will vary. I still think we
> should have always summer in master and that we never litter master with
> half baked features, so we are always ready to branch out.

I agree with this (mostly).  I don't think we should release as often as 2
months even if we do have some new features. But I do also think that 4 months
is too close.

The idea was that we would have 4 months for feature development since master
is always open to new features. But in reality this doesn't happen because the
release branch does need bugfixes and polish and this eats into people's time
in creating new features.

Personally I like the 6 months cycle but I am flexible. But 4 months is too
short for reasons shown above. Also, there is no linux distribution that has a
4 month release cycle so we can't get our software out to the users every 4
months. We have a break in the distribution chain there, meaning that some
versions will be skipped by users because their distros simply won't package
them.

> Well this is just the general considerations. Specifically I think we
> shouldn't branch 2.7 in a month. That is way too short. Yes I may have the
> new side panel in words and sheets, and krita will no doubt have features
> too, but the other features i have which will be ready in time, will not
> be user visible.

Agreed here as well.

> That means that in 8 months all words has progressed visibly is a new side
> panel (modebox)
>
> I'd really like time to actually do some visible feature development now
> and then. It's important to show that we are not a dead project in
> maintenance mode.

Do you have a suggestion for a different schedule?