next release and release pace in general

C. Boemann cbo at boemann.dk
Wed Jan 23 11:05:43 GMT 2013

Hi

I'm worried about our release pace. For 2.6 Words was able to make exactly 0
new features. Sure we made several fixes, but apart from a few strings those
could (almost) just as well have gone into a bugfix release.

I'm also worried that even though we do manage to put in an occasional new
feature, we don't make good enough PR out of it, simply because every release
contains so few new things that people miss the big picture. I think Amarok
has released new features over the last few years but because they do like we
do, I'm not at all sure they even released.

What I'm saying is that I think we are not making a big enough splash.

And I'm also saying that personally I feel like I've been in a constant
release mode, fixing bugs, since our first release. Now bug fixes are needed for
sure and I also like that we are stabilizing. Don't get me wrong here.

But hacking should also be about having fun and having time to make new stuff.

Personally I think we should go back to release when we have enough to make a
splash. That can be 2 months or 9 months. It will vary. I still think we
should have always summer in master and that we never litter master with half
baked features, so we are always ready to branch out.

Well this is just the general considerations. Specifically I think we shouldn't
branch 2.7 in a month. That is way too short. Yes I may have the new side
panel in words and sheets, and krita will no doubt have features too, but the
other features i have which will be ready in time, will not be user visible.

That means that in 8 months all words has progressed visibly is a new side
panel (modebox)

I'd really like time to actually do some visible feature development now and
then. It's important to show that we are not a dead project in maintenance
mode.

best regards
Boemann