Anyone using -DDISABLE_ALL_OPTIONAL_SUBDIRECTORIES=TRUE, -DBUILD_foo ?

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Thu Feb 28 18:04:55 GMT 2013

Am Donnerstag, 28. Februar 2013, 14:25:02 schrieb Boudewijn Rempt:
> On Thursday 28 February 2013 Feb, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > so macro_optional_add_subdirectory and the related cmake variables are
> > currently conflicting with that productset system I am working on.
> >
> > Looking at the old stuff I wonder how useful it is in such a big project,
> > like Calligra now is. The BUILD_foo variables are generated from the
> > foldername, prepending "BUILD_". So this breaks once different products
> > are done from folders with the same name. Will happen e.g. with folders
> > like "part", "app", "view", "core". Also folder names will not be as
> > expressive as the product names need to be, like Jarosław mentioned in
> > the original thread:
> > "BUILD_variables" would need "VARIABLES" as product name, not very
> > expressive.
> >
> > So I would propose to drop any usage of macro_optional_add_subdirectory
> > and do another system, based on the productset idea.
> >
> > But I wonder if anyone might be relying on what
> > macro_optional_add_subdirectory currently provides for Calligra. And thus
> > would need some backward compatibility for now. Does anyone know?
> >
> > Other comments regarding this wanted as well.
>
> I think there are people activately using things like -DCREATIVEONLY=ON
> -DBUILD_KARBON=OFF, so for the apps having individual settings makes sense.
> I don't think anyone (but me, for certain windows builds) uses the ability
> to rm -rf a subdirectory and have macro_optional_add_subdirectory do the
> right thing. I also don't think there's anyone who does
> -DDISABLE_ALL_OPTIONAL_SUBDIRECTORIES=TRUE because that will break pretty
> much everything -- it would even disable the text shape.

Thanks for the feedback, noted.
So would add backward support for -DBUILD_APPX overwriting product sets
settings.
(Perhaps product sets could inherit other products sets, to offer support for
this usecases where individual settings are added to modify the original.
Would mean that products could also be deselected from a set. Topic for a
second evolution step of the productset idea, first I want this step done and
integrated...)

Cheers
Friedrich