RFC: Turning flag TINY into ACTIVEONLY, move Author to toplevel dir

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Tue Feb 19 22:11:28 GMT 2013

Am Dienstag, 19. Februar 2013, 22:35:19 schrieb Jaroslaw Staniek:
> On 19 February 2013 22:19, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau <kossebau at kde.org>
wrote:
> > Am Dienstag, 19. Februar 2013, 22:07:46 schrieb Inge Wallin:
> >> Well... not really.  Since Plasma Active is a viewer only only the import
> >> filters make sense.  ...which suggests another build option: VIEWER.
> >
> > But isn't the plan to make it also an editor in the end? If not, where is
> > the difference to OkularActive or whatever other reader there is for
> > PlasmaActive?
> >
> > Sure, for now ACTIVE_ONLY would limit to import filters, given the needs.
>
> Our selling point is modularity, yet the deployment could be improved
> in some aspects. It would be great to get there also by providing
> (yes) kernel-like detailed build options, something not present in
> competing projects.
> Qt Project is also quite modular if we need examples.

Agreed. A perfect solution would allow the builder to define precisely which
plugins/filters/modules/apps are to build (and then warn about all which
cannot due to missings deps), and offer some prepared typical-pattern schemas
for convenience.

Perhaps a topic for the sprint?

For now I just want a pragmatic solution for the current known usecases :)

> Enabling VIEWER profile is one of our advantages. Another one apart
> form single-app-only profiles is: a build without pigment (they are
> unusable for most Kexi users).
>
> For me TINY is somewhat close to what ultimately be called MINIMAL and
> as such it makes sense as generic template for people playing with
> their own GUIs.

So MINIMAL in functionality of cores/engines? (current TINY also limited to
classic MSOFFICE-defined app set, Sheets,Stage&Words)

Cheers
Friedrich