RFC: Turning flag TINY into ACTIVEONLY, move Author to toplevel dir

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Mon Feb 18 09:48:42 GMT 2013

On Sunday 17 February 2013 Feb, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:

> Currently CalligraActive is only built in TINY build set.

That sounds wrong to me. I think we need

a) Full build: build everything that can be built
b) Active build: build only the things needed for Active
c) Creative build: build only krita and karbon.

> TINY also limits the
> filters which are installed. What is the purpose of TINY? Who is known to use
> TINY? Could it perhaps be removed, or rather changed to ACTIVEONLY?

As inge explained, tiny is a historical artefact, it dates back to the FreOffice/Calligra mobile days.

> One thing that also seems strange to me is that the executables are also done
> in the parts/ subdirs for most programs. What about splitting that out into a
> sibling app/ subdir? Would help with structure

I wouldn't mind that. It's currently not consisten in any case across all applications.
For instance, krita doesn't have a part directory, and the part and the exe are in the toplevel krita directory. Mind -- I think we need to get rid of KParts and KoParts completely, but that's something I'm investigating and want to discuss at the sprint.

> And I would also ask to move Author out of its ambush and give it a full real
> toplevel dir, to reduce the complexity in dir layout. Or is there any real
> need to have it there? Now it even has an icon ;), no need to be shy and hide.
> And time for an own SHOULD_BUILD_AUTHOR.

I'd wait with that until we can do a real refactoring... The way author and words are mixed up is really ugly, but I don't see how it can be easily fixed.

--
Boudewijn Rempt